Staying ahead of the curve means acknowledging that the future is unpredictable. While there may be speculation about what’s to come, it’s important to implement initiatives that can future-proof your dental practice.
The COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 challenged optimism, and while we’re still facing many of those realities, there are still reasons to remain positive. By embracing technological advancements and innovative strategies, dental professionals can stay ahead of the curve and future-proof their practices for the years to come.
Challenges Facing Dental Practices
Facing unknown challenges can feel overwhelming, but as a dental professional, you’ve likely weathered crises before. Although the current times may feel “unprecedented,” reflecting on past experiences can reveal strength and resilience.
From financial struggles and health threats to internal disputes and team turnover, the fog of uncertainty can cloud the future of your practice and the field of dentistry as a whole. But as we move forward in 2023 there are steps you can take to safeguard your practice.
How to Get Your Practice or DSO Ready for the Future of Dentistry
Completely future-proofing your practice is nearly impossible, but being prepared and ahead of the curve isn’t. As a result of adversity, new advances emerged, protocols were improved and refined, and patient engagement broadened as a result of technologies like:
- Cloud based practice management platforms
- Contactless patient solutions
- AI dental software and more
Patience, flexibility, and preparation contribute to your successful approach to the future whatever occurs.
3 Future-proofing Strategies for your Dental Practice or DSO
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the future of dentistry. As dental professionals, it’s important to take the lessons learned from this experience and translate them into practical operational strategies for the future.
While trends in dentistry are constantly evolving, some fundamental principles remain essential to the success of your practice. Refreshing your practice with these principles can help you stay ahead of the curve and better navigate the uncertain future of the dental industry.
1-Engage patients around a lifetime health perspective
Early treatment protocols are key to helping patients understand that today’s health decisions and routines impact tomorrow’s outcomes. You’re in a position of influence for their oral health decisions.
- Promote the health (and economic) benefits of early, routine treatment
- Educate patients about the systemic connections between their oral health and general health
- Inform patients that cost-effective treatment today is better than more costly treatment later
2-Energize your dental provider team
You’re aware of the patient flow that starts with routine check-ups and cleanings. And you’re perhaps also aware that many patients avoid hygiene appointments because they prefer the “no news is good news” approach to their oral health. Not knowing, of course, causes delays and ultimately can require more costly treatments.
- Create incentives for proactive patients who value their hygiene appointments
- Track your hygiene department’s production and how it specifically optimizes your revenue stream with production
3-Empower your patient’s oral health decisions with financing solutions
As you know, postponing diagnosis or treatment can increase the severity of your patient’s dental issues. They will eventually return to your office, but the price tag will likely have increased.
- Augment your reliance on dental insurance with creative financing options. Provide incentives for patients to stay and receive treatment by giving them long- and short-term financial packages.
- Design an in-house dental membership plan to avoid the insurance back and forth or give patients an affordable care option.
- Research the best third-party financing options and provide them for patients who can spread payments over a period of months or years,
Begin planning now by aligning your future-focused initiatives with strategies to recession proof your dental practice in the following related resources:
Patient-facing Solutions Will Drive the Future of Practice Management
- Manage your practice workflows with cloud-based practice management software. Experience secure anytime-anywhere, remote access to your patient information.
- Consult with your patients using the benefits of teledentistry. Cloud-based technology enhances your ability to provide initial diagnostic appointments. Patients will value the convenience and contactless patient intake option prior to a potential next-step, in-office treatment.
- Consider dental imaging technologies that will help your patients understand and accept treatment more readily
From contactless options to cloud-based solutions Planet DDS is a leading technology provider among emerging and sustained dental trends now and in the future.
Planet DDS’s Denticon is the proven cloud-based Dental Practice Management Software in today’s market among solo private practices, private group practices, and top DSOs.
Contact us for more information about how Denticon can streamline your workflow systems and operational tasks that can help you stay productively on trend now, in 2023, and beyond.