Software Engineer II
Join Planet DDS and take on the mission to help build great software for dental offices across the country. We’re a team of high-performing individuals that love what we do and like the people with whom we do it. We are seeking self-motivated people that thrive on getting it done. At Planet DDS you will have the opportunity to work with a skilled team in a flexible environment.
Planet DDS is the established leader in cloud-based dental software and has consistently been named one of the country’s 5000 fastest-growing private companies according to Inc Magazine. In 2019, it was also named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces. The company’s Denticon practice management software is a powerful, flexible tool trusted by tens of thousands of dental professionals across the country. The company also recently acquired Apteryx Imaging, adding the dental industry’s leading independent dental imaging (x-ray) software to its list of offerings. Well positioned to take advantage of a major industry shift to the cloud from desktop legacy software, the company has an exciting window of growth in the coming years as dental groups and individual practices adopt their technology. Planet DDS also offers outsourced business services to dental offices.
We’re growing and seeking a Software Engineer II to help build and enhance SaaS and mobile products for dental offices and dental groups. To be successful, the engineer will need to be self-motivated, a critical thinker, be able to take high-level direction, communicate clearly, gain consensus, and drive to completion in a very fast paced environment.
A software engineer doesn’t shy away from learning something new or experimenting with technologies to find the right solution. A friendly, hard-working, positive person with a true passion for solving problems with technology will fit in well with our dynamic team.
This role may be remote in the US or based in our Newport Beach, CA office. Remote candidates must be willing to travel up to 20% and work general business hours in the Pacific Time Zone.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Able to write:
- high-quality code following OOP principles and best practices within the relevant frameworks
- reusable, modular, and scalable code
- automated unit tests
- Participate in pair programming with other developers
- Contribute to and start leading code reviews, design reviews, effort estimates, task breakdowns, and other team discussions
- Fix software defects
- Break down features into testable sub-tasks
- Estimate and commit to tasks and manage your time to deliver as committed
- Meaningfully test all of your work including writing automated tests whenever possible
- Follow coding and other standards per team practices
- Work with the existing engineering team on continuously improving the performance, scalability, and reliability of Planet DDS products
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to design and deploy new features
- Learn about on the latest tools and patterns consistent with your role
- Participate in our Agile processes—from updating Jira to reflecting meaningfully in retrospectives and everything in between
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 to 8 years of experience in a software engineering/development role
- 5 years of more of experience in at least one of the following:
- .NET Core
- Demonstrated mastery of OOP and commonly used design patterns
- 5 or more years of experience in the full software development lifecycle
- 3 or more years of experience working with datasets / databases particularly SQL Server
- 3 or more years of experience working with cloud technologies (plus for Microsoft Azure)
- Experience in at least one Agile software development methodology (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to engage throughout the department and the company to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Any of the following would be a plus:
- Dental industry knowledge
- Experience in B2B product development
- Experience in a CI/CD environment
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You believe that code-reviews, giving them and asking for them, are important to delivering quality a product
- You love to cover your code with adequate unit, integration, and performance tests
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you’ve done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
Behavior and Scope
- You understand the priorities and goals for the team.
- You’re thoughtful about process; proposes changes as needed for the whole team to execute more efficiently.
- You hold your team accountable for their best possible efforts.
- When finding an issue in another team, you raise the matter tactfully with that team.
- When discussing work, you engage in discussion around business impact.
- You can develop large parts of systems on your own to support products.
- You routinely work without needing major direction or attention to achieve success in your role.
- You typically work on systems in multiple domains; you may require some guidance to complete complex work to achieve success.
- You own major functionality in a product and can diagnose issues, determine root cause, and recommend a resolution.
- You mentor others when opportunities are presented.
Planet DDS Core Ideology:
Why we exist
- To radically improve the practice of dentistry through innovative technology
- To be the obvious choice for dental practices that are shifting to the cloud
- Overarching goal: to reach $5 million of MRR by 2025
- We encourage autonomy, but we understand the need to hold people accountable for results
- We recognize the importance of communication—with each other and with the outside world
- We deliver what we promise; we are open and honest with our customers
- We value innovation and flexibility
- We create things we can believe in that help solve our customers’ problems; we care about their success