Software Development Manager
Join Planet DDS and take on the mission to help build great software for dental offices across the country. We’re a team of high-performing individuals that love what we do and like the people with whom we do it. We are seeking self-motivated people that thrive on getting it done. At Planet DDS you will have the opportunity to work with a skilled team in a flexible environment.
Planet DDS is the established leader in cloud-based dental software and has consistently been named one of the country’s 5000 fastest-growing private companies according to Inc Magazine. In 2019, it was also named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces. The company’s Denticon practice management software is a powerful, flexible tool trusted by tens of thousands of dental professionals across the country. The company also recently acquired Apteryx Imaging, adding the dental industry’s leading independent dental imaging (x-ray) software to its list of offerings. Well positioned to take advantage of a major industry shift to the cloud from desktop legacy software, the company has an exciting window of growth in the coming years as dental groups and individual practices adopt their technology. Planet DDS also offers outsourced business services to dental offices.
We are growing and actively recruiting for a Software Development Manager to join our team. We are seeking an organized, results driven leader who builds teams, tracks meaningful metrics, and delivers consistently. The manager should enjoy working across the organization to achieve successful business outcomes. Within engineering, the manager will need to identify, align, and build individuals’ strengths to build high performing teams. To achieve these results, the manager will need to be motivated, be able to take high-level direction and execute on it, communicate clearly, understand technology deeply, and have a servant-leader mindset.
Development managers play a crucial role in fostering and maintaining culture, professionalism, and team dynamics. The candidate should be prepared to invest in team member professional development and growth for both technical and soft skills. Managers should have strong technical skills personally with particular attention to the entirety of what it takes to release successfully. While staying on top of the day-to-day work is important, managers also must identify and implement productivity enhancements such as task automation, process improvements, deeper test coverage, and cross-training.
The role will be based anywhere in the US or in our Newport Beach, CA or Akron, OH offices. For candidates that are remote, you must be willing to work general business hours in the Pacific or Eastern Time Zone and be willing to travel at least 20%.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Create and maintain a culture of excellence within her/his geographically distributed team(s)
- Understand the key metrics that agile teams need to be effective and be able to implement and deliver these consistently
- Help drive technical decisions such as architecture, design patterns, CI/CD pipelines, and coding practices to support scalable, resilient, high-performing solutions
- Handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Navigate ambiguity and deliver incrementally in the right direction
- Assess and raise risks across the Planet DDS solutions
- Keep abreast of technology industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices, so you can recommend new tools and technologies
- Contribute to engineering department strategy, goal setting, processes, and budget
- Ensure compliance with quality standards, regulatory and other business systems
- Other duties as assigned
- 10+ years in full-lifecycle software engineering
- 5+ years as a manager in an engineering organization
- 5+ years as a developer on a multi-person engineering team
- Hands on development experience with the Microsoft technology stack particularly .NET and SQL Server
- Demonstrated success in mentoring and coaching engineers
- Deep understanding and experience with Agile principles and practices
- Strong skills in interpersonal relationships and team building
- Excellent English communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Each of the following would be a plus:
- Broad work in commercial software – off the shelf delivered on premise or SaaS (preferred)
- Extensive experience with cloud product development and release
- Direct experience with transitioning from classic web application architectures to more modern architectures such as microservices
- CI/CD – both constructing the pipeline and establishing best practices
- Mobile application experience – iOS, Android, React
- Dental industry knowledge
- Imaging, particularly DICOM, experience
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You believe that code-reviews are important to delivering quality a product
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you’ve done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
Behavior and Scope
- You raise issues early when you see obstacles to achieving a goal and work to find solutions.
- You volunteer to get involved in the solution even if it is beyond your own team or role.
- You evangelize good practices both on and off of your team.
- You actively help solve cross-team issues by assisting other teams.
- You speak up on more broad issues in the domain beyond your own work, such as processes, company issues or large projects.
- You propose and advocate for significant new features and actively affect change.
- You lead and guide other team members.
- You actively mentor others and seek accountability.
Planet DDS Core Ideology:
Why we exist
- To radically improve the practice of dentistry through innovative technology
- To be the obvious choice for dental practices that are shifting to the cloud
- Overarching goal: to reach $5 million of MRR by 2025
- We encourage autonomy, but we understand the need to hold people accountable for results
- We recognize the importance of communication—with each other and with the outside world
- We deliver what we promise; we are open and honest with our customers
- We value innovation and flexibility
- We create things we can believe in that help solve our customers’ problems; we care about their success