Senior Software Engineer
Are you looking to join a dynamic, fast-growing software company where you can make a real impact and be part of a dedicated, vibrant team?
Join Planet DDS and take on the mission to help build great software for dental offices across the country. We’re a team of high-performing individuals that love what we do and like the people with whom we do it. We are seeking self-motivated people that thrive on getting it done. At Planet DDS you will have the opportunity to work with a skilled team in a flexible environment.
Planet DDS is the established leader in cloud-based dental software and has consistently been named one of the country’s 5000 fastest-growing private companies according to Inc Magazine. In 2019, it was also named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces. The company’s Denticon practice management software is a powerful, flexible tool trusted by tens of thousands of dental professionals across the country. The company also recently acquired Apteryx Imaging, adding the dental industry’s leading independent dental imaging (x-ray) software to its list of offerings. Well positioned to take advantage of a major industry shift to the cloud from desktop legacy software, the company has an exciting window of growth in the coming years as dental groups and individual practices adopt their technology. Planet DDS also offers outsourced business services to dental offices.
Planet DDS is looking for a senior software engineer in our Akron, OH and Newport Beach, CA locations to build and enhance SaaS and mobile products for dental offices and dental groups. To be successful, the engineer will need to be self-motivated, a critical thinker, be able to take high-level direction, communicate clearly, gain consensus, and drive to completion in a very fast paced environment.
We are looking for someone who doesn’t shy away from learning something new or experimenting with technologies to find the right solution. A friendly, hard-working, positive person with a true passion for solving problems with technology will fit in well with our dynamic team.
What you’ll do:
- High-quality code following OOP principles and best practices within the relevant frameworks
- Reusable, modular, and scalable code
- Automated unit tests
- Mentor more junior engineers
- Participate in pair programming with other developers
- Contribute to and lead code reviews, design reviews, effort estimates, task breakdowns, and other team discussions
- Fix software defects
- Lead feature development efforts
- Help your team estimate and commit to work then deliver as committed
- Meaningfully test all of your work including writing automated tests whenever possible
- Follow coding and other standards per team practices
- Assess and raise risks across the Planet DDS solution
- Play a part in the architecture and technology roadmap including research, prototyping, and rolling out new technologies/patterns
- Work with the existing engineering team on continuously improving the performance, scalability, and reliability of Planet DDS products
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to design and deploy new features
- Learn about on the latest tools and patterns consistent with your role
- Participate in our Agile processes—from updating Jira to reflecting meaningfully in retrospectives and everything in between
- Other duties as assigned
What you have:
- 8 or more years of experience in a software engineering/development role
- 7 years of more of experience in at least one of the following:
- .NET Core
- Demonstrated mastery of OOP and commonly used design patterns
- 7 or more years of experience in the full software development lifecycle
- 5 or more years of experience working with datasets / databases particularly SQL Server
- 5 or more years of experience working with cloud technologies (plus for Microsoft Azure)
- 5 or more years of experience working in software development teams
- Experience in B2B product development
- Experience in a CI/CD environment
- Experience in at least one Agile software development methodology (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to engage throughout the department and the company to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Any of the following would be a plus:
- Dental industry knowledge
- Imaging, particularly DICOM, development experience
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You believe that code-reviews, giving them and asking for them, are important to delivering quality a product
- You love to cover your code with adequate unit, integration, and performance tests
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you’ve done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
Behavior and Scope
- You raise issues early when you see obstacles to achieving a goal and work to find solutions.
- You volunteer to get involved in the solution even if it is beyond your own team or role.
- You evangelize good practices both on and off of your team.
- You actively help solve cross-team issues by assisting other teams.
- You speak up on more broad issues in the domain beyond your own work, such as processes, company issues or large projects.
- You guide the team in designing major components of systems and products.
- You lead the design and development of large and critical areas of the product.
- You’re able to reason about the purpose of each component in a system and how they interact with each other to support the product.
- You propose and advocate for significant new features and actively affect change.
- You rarely require guidance to complete complex work to achieve success.
- You often lead and guide other team members.
- You actively mentor others and seek accountability.
Planet DDS Core Ideology:
Why we exist
- To radically improve the practice of dentistry through innovative technology
- To be the obvious choice for dental practices that are shifting to the cloud
- Overarching goal: to reach $3 million of MRR by 2025
- We encourage autonomy, but we understand the need to hold people accountable for results
- We recognize the importance of communication—with each other and with the outside world
- We deliver what we promise; we are open and honest with our customers
- We value innovation and flexibility
- We create things we can believe in that help solve our customers’ problems; we care about their success