Senior Automation Engineer
Are you looking to join a dynamic, fast-growing software company where you can make a real impact and be part of a dedicated, vibrant team?
Join Planet DDS and take on the mission to help build great software for dental offices across the country. We’re a team of high-performing individuals that love what we do and like the people with whom we do it. We are seeking self-motivated people that thrive on getting it done. At Planet DDS you will have the opportunity to work with a skilled team in a flexible environment.
Planet DDS is the established leader in cloud-based dental software and has consistently been named one of the country’s 5000 fastest-growing private companies according to Inc Magazine. In 2019, it was also named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces. The company’s Denticon practice management software is a powerful, flexible tool trusted by tens of thousands of dental professionals across the country. The company also recently acquired Apteryx Imaging, adding the dental industry’s leading independent dental imaging (x-ray) software to its list of offerings. Well positioned to take advantage of a major industry shift to the cloud from desktop legacy software, the company has an exciting window of growth in the coming years as dental groups and individual practices adopt their technology. Planet DDS also offers outsourced business services to dental offices.
Planet DDS is looking for a quality minded innovative automation engineer with experience in building automation frameworks from the ground up for SaaS and mobile products. The Senior Automation Engineer should enjoy working across the organization to achieve our automated testing and performance testing goals. To achieve these results, the engineer will need to be self-motivated, a critical thinker, be able to take high-level direction and build an automated testing strategy, communicate clearly, gain consensus, and drive to completion in a very fast paced environment. The Senior Automation Engineer will play a crucial role in defining the automated CI/CD testing strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Lead automation efforts
- Design, implement and maintain the automated testing framework for mobile and SaaS products
- CI/CD testing strategy (integrate automation into Planet DDS tools)
- Performance testing strategy
- Load testing strategy
- Present testing strategy, for both automated and manual, to others in layman’s terms and gain consensus on implementation strategy
- Mentor and train other team members on automation, quality practices and principles including junior automation engineers
- Manually test on an as needed basis
- Contribute to and lead code reviews, design reviews, effort estimates, task breakdowns, and other team discussions
- Follow coding and other standards per team practices
- Assess and raise risks across the Planet DDS solution
- Play a part in the architecture and technology roadmap including research, prototyping, and rolling out new technologies/patterns
- Work with the existing engineering team on continuously improving the performance, scalability, and reliability of Planet DDS products
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to design and deploy new features
- Learn about the latest tools and patterns consistent with your role
- Participate in our Agile processes—from updating Jira to reflecting meaningfully in retrospectives and everything in between
- Other duties as assigned
What you have:
- Significant experience in automation testing and building automation frameworks from the ground up
- 8 or more years of experience in a software engineering development, test, and/or QA role
- 7 years of more of experience in at least one of the following:
- Building automated tests for services using REST or SOAP
- Building automated tests for mobile applications (iOS and Android)
- Building automated tests for database validation in a RDMS (plus for SQL Server)
- 7 or more years of experience in the full software development lifecycle
- 5 or more years of experience in programming (Python, Java, C#, JMeter, Selenium RC for example)
- 5 or more years of experience working in software teams
- 3 or more years of experience working with cloud technologies (plus for Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with
- B2B product development
- Integrating automation into a CI/CD environment
- At least one Agile software development methodology (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Performance testing tools such as JMeter, BlazeMeter
- Test case management techniques, technologies and approaches
- Knowledge of how to characterize different risk scenarios (Examples: blackbox, boundary, verification and validation, acceptance, load, stress, performance, HA/DR)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Willingness and capability to train and mentor less experienced team members
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company’s success
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to engage throughout the department and the company to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Any of the following would be a plus:
- Dental industry knowledge
- Imaging, particularly DICOM, development experience
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You believe that code-reviews, giving them and asking for them, are important to delivering a quality product
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software and software testing
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you’ve done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
- You don’t mind doing hands on testing when the need arises
Behavior and Scope:
- You raise issues early when you see obstacles to achieving a goal and work to find solutions.
- You volunteer to get involved in the solution even if it is beyond your own team or role.
- You evangelize good practices both on and off of your team.
- You actively help solve cross-team issues by assisting other teams beyond their roles.
- You speak up on more broad issues in the domain beyond your own work, such as processes, company issues or large projects.
- You guide the team in designing major components of systems and products.
- You lead the design and development of large and critical areas of the product.
- You’re able to reason about the purpose of each component in a system and how they interact with each other to support the product.
- You propose and advocate for significant new features and actively affect change.
- You rarely require guidance to complete complex work to achieve success.
- You often lead and guide other team members.
- You actively mentor others and seek accountability.
Planet DDS Core Ideology:
Why we exist
- To radically improve the practice of dentistry through innovative technology
- To be the obvious choice for dental practices that are shifting to the cloud
- Overarching goal: to reach $3 million of MRR by 2025
- We encourage autonomy, but we understand the need to hold people accountable for results
- We recognize the importance of communication—with each other and with the outside world
- We deliver what we promise; we are open and honest with our customers
- We value innovation and flexibility
- We create things we can believe in that help solve our customers’ problems; we care about their success