Cloud Architect Specialist
Are you looking to join a dynamic, fast-growing software company where you can make a real impact and be part of a dedicated, vibrant team?
Join Planet DDS and take on the mission to help build great software for dental offices across the country. We’re a team of high-performing individuals that love what we do and like the people with whom we do it. We are seeking self-motivated people that thrive on getting it done. At Planet DDS you will have the opportunity to work with a skilled team in a flexible environment.
Planet DDS is the established leader in cloud-based dental software and has consistently been named one of the country’s 5000 fastest-growing private companies according to Inc Magazine. In 2019, it was also named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces. The company’s Denticon practice management software is a powerful, flexible tool trusted by tens of thousands of dental professionals across the country. The company also recently acquired Apteryx Imaging, adding the dental industry’s leading independent dental imaging (x-ray) software to its list of offerings. Well positioned to take advantage of a major industry shift to the cloud from desktop legacy software, the company has an exciting window of growth in the coming years as dental groups and individual practices adopt their technology. Planet DDS also offers outsourced business services to dental offices.
Planet DDS is looking for a Cloud Architect .NET to build and enhance SaaS and mobile products for dental offices and dental groups. To be successful, the architect will need to be self-motivated, a critical thinker, be able to take high-level direction, communicate clearly, gain consensus, and drive to completion in a very fast paced environment.
We are looking for someone who doesn’t shy away from learning something new or experimenting with technologies to find the right solution. A friendly, hard-working, positive person with a true passion for solving problems with technology will fit in well with our dynamic team.
What You’ll Do:
- Integrate business requirements, existing technical competencies, and existing product code/architecture into a coherent cloud architecture
- Apply architectural design patterns in a practical manner to solve business problems
- Readily learn and adapt to new technologies
- Drive the technology implementation of proposed solutions
- Strong ability to plan and lead design sessions and collaborate with both technical subject matter experts as well as business analysts and stakeholders
- Help define and assess the architecture and technology roadmap including research, prototyping, and rolling out new technologies/patterns
- Collaboratively work with different scrum teams to
- Provide architectural runway through reference architecture, patterns, and guidelines
- Improve continuously the performance, scalability, and reliability of Planet DDS products
- Mentor more junior engineers
- Assess and raise risks across the Planet DDS solutions
- High-quality code following OOP principles and best practices within the relevant frameworks
- Reusable, modular, and scalable code
- Automated unit tests
- Contribute to and lead code reviews, design reviews, effort estimates, task breakdowns, and other team discussions
- Help teams estimate and commit to work then deliver as committed
- Participate in our Agile processes—from updating Jira to reflecting meaningfully in retrospectives and everything in between
- Participate in the CI/CD process with the DevOps Engineer to build Cloud Architecture
- Improve and monitor Azure web app and database performance
- Other duties as assigned
What you have:
- Broad understanding and knowledge of
- Multiple technical domains including Front-end Architecture, Services Architecture, Integration/Middleware Architecture, Security Architecture, Data Architecture, etc.
- System development in cloud environments, including selecting between Software as Service (SaaS), Platform as Service (PaaS), or Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) technologies
- Cloud security including experience managing PII or PHI
- 8 or more years of experience in a software engineering/development role
- 7 years of more of experience in at least one of the following:
- .NET Core
- 7 or more years of experience in the full software development lifecycle
- 5 or more years of experience in architecting & delivering end-to-end solutions
- 5 or more years of experience working with datasets / databases particularly SQL Server
- 5 or more years of experience working in software development teams
- 3 or more years of experience actively using the Microsoft Azure Platform including knowledge of Microsoft PaaS/SaaS components such as Azure Kubernetes, Container Registry, Azure SQL, Logicapps, Azure Functions, Azure Cosmos DB, Azure Data lake, Data factory, Service Bus, Redis Cache, Azure Functions, App insights.
- Demonstrated mastery of OOP and commonly used design patterns
- Experience in B2B product development, CI/CD, and at least one Agile software development methodology (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to engage throughout the department and the company to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Any of the following would be a plus:
- Dental industry knowledge
- Imaging, particularly DICOM, development experience
- Microsoft Azure certification
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you’ve done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
- You believe that code-reviews, giving them and asking for them, are important to delivering quality a product
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You love to cover your code with adequate unit, integration, and performance tests
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
Behavior and Scope
- You raise issues early when you see obstacles to achieving a goal and work to find solutions.
- You volunteer to get involved in the solution even if it is beyond their own team or role.
- You evangelize good practices both on and off of your team.
- You actively help solve cross-team issues by assisting other teams beyond your roles.
- You speak up on more broad issues in their domain beyond their own work, such as processes, company issues or large projects.
- You rarely require guidance to complete complex work to achieve success.
- You lead and guide other team members.
- You actively mentor others and seek accountability.
Planet DDS Core Ideology:
Why we exist
- To radically improve the practice of dentistry through innovative technology
- To be the obvious choice for dental practices that are shifting to the cloud
- Overarching goal: to reach $3 million of MRR by 2025
- We encourage autonomy, but we understand the need to hold people accountable for results
- We recognize the importance of communication—with each other and with the outside world
- We deliver what we promise; we are open and honest with our customers
- We value innovation and flexibility
- We create things we can believe in that help solve our customers’ problems; we care about their success